Hello again! Just want to share a couple of quick yum-may recipes that’ll help you keep the caloric balance in-check this holiday weekend! Enjoy!
First up on the list is the Yogurt Parfait. This is incredibly easy to make and I almost made a second one immediately after devouring the first because it’s so tasty!
- ¾ cup of low-fat or Greek yogurt (I went with vanilla but hey, go crazy!)
- Fresh fruit (I used fresh-cut pineapple because I had it in the fridge but I can imagine that any fruit would be just as delicious… or any combination of fruit you like)
- Granola (I bought a Granola with dried banana flakes in it- ZOMG- I ended eating that by itself later!)
It’s pretty self-explanatory. I put a layer of granola followed by a thick layer of yogurt followed by several slices of pineapple and topped it off with a sprinkling of granola. SO. FLIPPIN’. GOOD. (And quick to make!)
247 calories/serving, give or take a few.
Try this scrumptiousness as a side dish for lunch or as a breakfast entrée.
Cilantro-Avocado Dressing- Surprise, surprise- I LOVED the taste of this healthy salad dressing!
- Half of a ripe avocado
- ¾ cup packed fresh cilantro
- ½ cup of nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions , chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Combine all ingredients in a food processor. DONE.
Top your salad; I used a pre-made bag of mixed greens, added tomatoes, onions, and carrots, threw some watermelon on the side and called it a day but you can get fancier and add black beans and corn which accompany the avocado quite nicely!
Note: Mine came out a little thicker than your typical salad dressing because I used a whole avocado (love ‘em!) but that wasn’t an awful thing. It tastes so fresh!
Last but not least, you knew I wasn’t going to give you some healthy holiday weekend options and leave out a drink! Come ON! The “Red, WHITE, and Blue” Sangria is another quick and easy recipe to whip and an oh-so-refreshing way to cool off this holiday weekend!
- Any white wine (I used a Pinot Grigio)
- Sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons of sugar (ok… not so healthy…)
- A dash of ginger ale in each glass for some added festiveness, if you so desire!
Combine all of it in a pitcher, chill, and DRANK! Then, EAT all of your wine-infused fruit- Mmmmmmmm……….
Hope you have a chance to try all of these and if not this weekend, soon!
HAPPY 4th of July!!!!