Wednesday, June 29, 2011

(We) Can Do Sidebends or Sit-Ups... But Please Don't Lose that BUTT!


This treadmill routine will kick your, er, ass. No sagging or flat booties for us! So even though this blog is focused primarily on fun activities outside the gym, I just had to share this gem of a routine with you!  Note that this is actually quite tough and the "fun" part of this routine is in pushing yourself. Check it out:



                  GLUTE-SCULPTING TREADMILL WORKOUT

(Warm-Up)
0-5:00 minutes:
Speed: 4 m.p.h.
Incline: 3-3.5

5:00-7:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 8-10

7:00-8:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 4-6

8:00-10:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 10

10:00-11:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 5-7

11:00- 13:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 12

13:00-14:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 10

14:00-15:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 12

(Cool Down)
15:00-20:00 minutes:
            Speed: 4 m.p.h.
            Incline: 2-4

I ran across this particular cardio exercise in a magazine over a year ago but it remains a tried and true favorite when I hit the gym. If you’re just getting started, definitely go for the lower incline numbers; vice-versa if you’re pretty used to working out on the treadmill. If you are really amped to push the limit on this one, try increasing the speed from 4 m.p.h. to 4.5 or higher (more power to ya! I’ll stick with 4!). At 4 m.p.h. and choosing the higher number of each "Incline" interval, I usually end up running a total of about a mile and a quarter and burning about 150 calories (depends on your weight).

Oh, and an extra little tip: For me, music makes all the difference when I’m running so make sure you’ve got an upbeat playlist ready to go when you begin!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! No one has ever just been like "these are the times, and this is what you do!" I love it I'm going to do it. I have always stayed away from the inclines, they scare me a bit, haha. Question for you - if you do the incline will that be building muscle? I want to lean down, not build muscle (well build some, but I'v always been active so I feel I have plenty of that, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola (Clever) Kristy! :)

    Thanks for reading and commenting! While I am simply a fitness fan and not a fitness pro, I can say that I did not build so much muscle that it was visibly noticeable (no bulkiness). That said, I know my legs grew stronger after doing this a few times and you'll definitely feel it in your legs and butt during and after the run. It's not a workout I'd do everyday but a few times a week will probably help you reach the toned definition you're looking for!

    Have fun!And don't let those inclines scare ya- Just focus on the time winding down!

    ReplyDelete