Tangy Vegan Crockpot Corn Chowder
Gather your ingredients:
Chop your veggies and throw all ingredients (except the milk and butter) into your crockpot. Set it on "Low" for 7 hours. Carry on with your busy life in the meantime. ;)
After seven hours, transfer your soup into a blender and allow it to pulsate into creamy goodness. Return the soup to the crockpot and add the milk and butter. Stir and allow to continue heating for another hour.
Eat up! I put together a spinach salad w/ baby tomatoes, mozzarella cheese shavings, and apple slices to accompany this hearty soup.
The recipe I followed comes from the AllRecipe website. I followed it for the most part but I decided to use a little less butter in my own soup. No wonder my soup was so SPICY- I also added an extra red chili pepper by accident! Stick with one or two to be safe. Let me know what you think!
Also, here are a few fun facts about corn:
- The high amount of fiber present in corn helps lower cholesterol levels and also reduces the risk of colon cancer.
- Corn, if consumed in moderate quantities, has been seen to be beneficial for those suffering from diabetes.
- Those suffering from anemia have shown positive effects after consuming corn. (This factoid is music to my borderline anemic ears!)
- Owing to the presence of thiamin, corn has been said to help in the metabolism of carbohydrates.
- Regular consumption of corn, in moderate quantities, has been associated with better cardiovascular health.