Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ex-Quiche Me

Yesterday was one of “those” Saturdays. You know the kind. A “greeted by the sun when you open your eyes- prepare a big breakfast- mosey around your neighborhood- check off a couple of enjoyable things from your “To Do” list- catch up with friends you haven’t seen in awhile” kind of Saturdays. In a word, it was awesome.

My friends, feast your eyes on deez:




What you see pictured is Spinach and Mushroom Quiche, fresh watermelon slices, peanut butter on wheat toast, a banana, coffee, and a Bloody Mary (… don’t judge me).


The quiche recipe I snagged from the foodnetwork.com website was the “experimental project” of the breakfast composition and I have to say, it turned out well! I’m not generally a picky eater but the texture of quiche has always weirded me out so I can’t say this will be a recurring meal for me but I am glad I tried it. Oh, my only suggestion: Definitely top it with more turkey bacon!

Here’s what you need to make the quiche:
                Cooking spray
                6 strips (3 ounces) turkey bacon
                1 tablespoon olive oil
                10 ounces white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
                1 small shallot, thinly sliced
                Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
                2 cups baby spinach
                Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
                4 large eggs
                 4 egg whites (I doubled up on these versus using the  4 large eggs.)
                1/4 cup skim milk (I used soy)
                1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Fontina cheese

And here’s how you make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mist a large nonstick skillet with more nonstick cooking spray and put over medium heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook turning frequently until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
3. In the same skillet, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, shallot, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until shallots are soft and the mushrooms are dry and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the baby spinach and nutmeg until the spinach is just wilted, but still bright green, 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt and pepper until well combined. Stir in the cheese. Divide the egg mixture evenly between the muffin tins, filling them about halfway. Top evenly with the mushroom and spinach mixture and then the chopped bacon.
5. Bake until the quiches are well-risen, golden brown and set, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*** Nutritional analysis per serving (2 mini quiche)
Calories 180; Total Fat 11.5g (Sat Fat 4g, Mono Fat 5g, Poly Fat 2g); Protein 14g; Carb 6g; Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 162mg; Sodium 538mg

While some of those numbers are higher than I’d prefer, a few things make me feel better about this meal:  the amount of veggies, the fact that I substituted 4 egg whites for the 4 large eggs, and the other food accompanying my quiche. It still seems to be a well-balanced meal to me. Plus, I stayed full for several hours and had a lot of energy (enough to take an intense class I'll tell you about next time!).

So there you have it- Easy peasy Spinach Mushroom Quiche. Now, go forward and make them for yourself! Be sure to let me know how they turn out.  

2 comments:

  1. I loove Quiche! I am now about to walk out the door and get what I need to make this, haha. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. It was really easy and I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete