Thursday, December 1, 2011

Caffeinated Cookies



This week I got on a baking kick- Woohoo! 


There is one minor issue with my "kick", though: I don't love sweets. Nah, I'm definitely more of a salty or spicy type of girl but I do love baking. So, full of holiday cheer and in the giving spirit, I gave away my treats to my roommate, H's, co-workers and visiting family (my roomie doesn't like sweets very much either). I hear they went over rather well with her colleagues and I'm glad I could supply them with the caffeine and sugar necessary to get through another long work day! :) Check 'em out.... 

Espresso Crinkles:


Ingredients:
4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided (I used half this amount)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoons of salt
5 1/4 teaspoons canola oil (I used apple sauce instead)
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used 1 1/4)
1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup 
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
large egg whites 

Directions:

  • 1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine oil and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat; cook until chocolate melts, stirring constantly. Add espresso granules to pan; stir until blended. Remove from heat. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl; cool 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, syrup, and vanilla. Add egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring gently just until combined. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
  • 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
  • 3. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Dredge balls in remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar; place balls 2 inches apart on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until tops are cracked and almost set. Cool cookies on pan 2 minutes or until set; remove from pan. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

My Call on These: 
Well even though I don't love sweets, I did try them and they were good! If you like coffee (Oh, how I do!) and/or rich desserts, I think you'll like these. 


Now you know I didn't create this recipe on my own- I only tweaked it a bit to take out some of the excess sugar and calories. Here's a link to the original: http://www.cookinglight.com/entertaining/holidays-occasions/10-timeless-holiday-cookies-00400000036149/page7.html

No comments:

Post a Comment